By now, you’ve probably hit the ground running for the holidays, which seem to sneak up on us earlier and earlier each year. The holiday season for most people is exciting and something to look forward to, but it can also tend to be stressful as well. So, take a minute to relax and read a few chiropractic tips to keep your holidays stress free and healthy.
There are always a long list of to-dos once the holiday season rolls around. Decorating, buying gifts, cooking for large groups and traveling can all create more anxiety than usual, which can be damaging to your health. When you suffer from stress or anxiety, it causes tension, which can then create unwanted pressure on the nerves in the spine. Pressure or shifts in the spine can cause subluxation and result in other health problems, such as bodily discomfort, headaches, and digestion issues, to name a few.
The International Chiropractors Association (ICA) have put together a list of health tips to help keep you happy and healthy during this busy time. They include:
- Careful when lifting heavy objects. Packages, firewood, frozen holiday turkeys and large boxes of holiday decorations can all cause strain to your back when lifting and carrying. Remember to lift correctly, with your legs, not your back.
- If you’re spending a lot of time on your feet for an extended period of time, especially when cooking, elevate one foot with a foot rest or stacked books about six inches from the floor. Alternating each foot can relieve your back and leg muscles.
- Traveling during the holidays can be very stressful. It’s important to give yourself plenty of rest and extra time to avoid having to run with heavy luggage. Pack light and use well-balanced wheeled luggage so you don’t have to carry heavy loads on your shoulders or back.
- When traveling use a pillow or folded blanket behind the small of the back to keep the arch in the lower back and support for the body. Sitting on planes or in cars for long hours can create pressure on the discs and joint structures.
- Get plenty of rest! Fatigue alone can result in many health problems during the holidays.
- When using a step-stool or ladder for decorating, be careful! Make sure you are stable and never stand on the top step of a tall ladder. There is an increased number of falls during the holidays, resulting in dangerous back injuries.
One of the best tips we can offer you for this, and every, holiday season is to take the time to come in and experience the health support of specific scientific chiropractic care. When your body is operating at optimal levels of health, you will feel the difference, and you will experience your friends, family and the holiday spirit in a more joyful way!
Now that you’ve taken a few minutes to relax and read these tips, go and enjoy the festivities! Happy holidays from everyone at Sims Family Chiropractic Care.